- Hide menu
The Whittemore House is one of Washington’s most historic and elegant mansions. It was designed and built as a private residence between 1892 and 1894 by architect Harvey Page for opera singer Sarah Adams Whittemore (a direct descendent of John and Henry Adams). The Woman’s National Democratic Club has occupied the mansion since 1927. The House was listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1973 and was granted museum status in 2000. Today, we celebrate this distinguished history and tradition by maintaining a noted collection of antiques, art, and political memorabilia.